Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Authors Note MaxF 811


A Note on The Text

These days bullying is affecting many school children all around the world, and it comes in many different forms. Cyber bullying for example, is becoming more and more prominent. The effects of bullying are substantial, ranging from failing grades and drug use to suicides. Most student suicides are bullying related, in which the bully harasses the student so much that he wants to end his life. Studies performed at Yale University show that “bully victims are between 2 to 9 times more likely to consider suicide then non-victims”.
There are many things we can do however to prevent bullying, and its effects, by taking action if you witness bullying and tell an adult, and the person who was bullied should do the same. Other things you can do is hang out with a group of friends while in the hallways and going home, and for parents, pay close attention to their eating habits, and if they try to fake being sick. Kids who are bullied often don’t want to go to school, so faking sickness is a way out for them. Also if your kid has a sudden drop in his grades, it might also be a sign that he is being bullied. Other signs of bullying are “showing signs of depression, like ongoing sadness, withdrawal from others, losing interest in favorite activities…” as well as “Giving away favorite possessions and saying goodbye to people” or “engaging in dangerous or harmful activities”.
            The reason why I chose this topic was because of how widespread and detrimental bullying is to the child’s health. Now I have never been bullied, but I feet sympathy for the kids who are, and especially the kids who are considering to end their life. I can understand that most kids are bullied at least once during their school years, and the bullies don’t even know they’re doing it.
This story was written to encourage people to call out against bullying, and stop the bullying related suicides and trauma. I also want to help stop repeated and intentional bullying, which can lead to trauma and a higher chance of substance abuse. I want to motivate people to take action and wipe out bullying, and I hope you will if the time ever comes. Bullying is affecting more and more schoolchildren around the world, and we need to stop it.

No comments:

Post a Comment